In Germany, insurances are not just a good thing to have, some of them are mandatory. Such as health and car insurance. For all insurances, especially the ones that are optional, a consultation with an independent insurance agency may be recommended, as this is such a large and specialised field.

Health insurance
An important part of living in a foreign country is the question how to deal with health insurance. The European Social Agreement provides a customer orientated procedure to facilitate all matters concerning Health care and insurances.
This means in general, you have to bring: 

  • The E 106 (former S1), a document issued by the Health Insurance of your native country, which is needed to request a health insurance card from the German health insurance of your choice if you are living in Germany for a longer period (> 3 months).
  • The European Health Insurance Card, issued by the Health Insurance of your native country, used for short term stays in foreign countries, like holidays etc., covers only emergency treatment.

Car Insurance
A third party liability insurance policy (Kfz-Haftpflichtversicherung) is compulsory for
all automobiles registered in Germany. If you are travelling abroad, the International motor insurance certificate must be carried along as proof that the vehicle is insured. If you want to register your car in Germany, it has to be insured by a German insurance company.
The premium will depend on your no claims bonus (Schadensfreiheitsrabatt) which can only be obtained when the insurance for this car has been cancelled in your home country and by providing a proof of your previous insurance record.

Personal Liability Insurance
It is highly recommended to conclude a Personal liability (third party) insurance policy (Privathaftpflichtversicherung) for the whole family covering cases of liability for injury or damage to other persons or their property. Pets may be included or insured separately.

Household Insurance
Household Insurance (Hausratversicherung), covering the contents of your home against fire, water damage, theft, vandalism and hail, isn’t required by law but it is recommended and some landlords demand it. Policyholders should make sure they insure their household goods for their full value and maintain a current list of all personal items such as furniture, home entertainment equipment, jewellery and antiques but also bicycles. Receipts, inventories, guarantees and photos are very helpful in case you have to claim. 

Legal Insurance
Legal Insurances (Rechtschutzversicherung) cover legal costs you encounter being sued. They can be purchased for the entire family (Privatrechtschutz), traffic legal protection (Verkehrsrechtschutz) and a tenancy protection for the house/apartment you rent (Mietrechtschutz).